Monday, September 24, 2007

Peek-A-Boo Sunflower

I created this quilt for the quiltart Flower Power Challenge. We each took the test "What Flower are You." I was a sunflower. I began by drawing a sunflower with watercolor crayons. I used both the artist quality crayons and my kids Colorix watercolor crayons. I actually liked my kid's crayons better. They made bolder marks. The only draw backs is they are slightly oily and fine details are difficult. I then free motion quilted the drawing. I then cut it apart and added the white window sashing. I really like the fun aspect of the sunflower peeking through the window. I know you would never actually get this view, since sunflowers tend to face the sun. I just have to tell my logical, technically correct side to be quiet. Lucky for me, I now have several bright shiny flower quilts to keep me company when the weather is dreary. This is especially useful since I neglected my garden this year. The only thing I have growing is dandelions, but that's for another challenge.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Very, very nice! Love the quilting that you did on this too.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I really like this...lovely colors too! And yep, Vicki is right the quilting is fab!

Suzanne Earley said...

That is lovely. I like the whole idea of cutting something apart and sewing it back together the way you did....hmm. Must resist temptation to go play....LOL!