Tuesday, April 28, 2009

While the Cats Away . . .

My husband spent last weekend turkey hunting for the first time. My mother-in-law gave me a break Saturday afternoon and took the kids for 7 hours. I haven't had seven hours home alone in much longer than I can remember. Despite having a rather cruddy cold, I had to do something creative. First I painted a bunch of watercolor paper. Very fun to just play with the colors. I had the entire kitchen floor covered with paper! These were also painted on both sides so I could use them for bookmarks.

While the paint dried, I tried my hand at embossing. My parents gave me a bunch of embossing powder and UTEE for Christmas, but I haven't had the chance to play with it. I wasn't having the best of luck using paper. My ink kept drying before I had the chance to add the powder. Instead of getting frustrated, I moved on to washers. I have some rather large ones that made a great surface for the UTEE. I stamped words into the hot enamel. I need to work on my technique, but I think this is something I definetly want to explore more.

Then I had all those papers laying around and the inchies that I have been working on. I had to do something with them, so more bookmarks and gift tags. (Okay, I didn't finish them all during that seven hours, but I got a good start and then finished them over the last couple days.) I think I am going to take them with me to ArtFiber Fest in June. The theme is "Orbs" so they will make perfect giveaways. Some people like to trade, but I don't want to leave anyone out who didn't bring a trade. I prefer to call them gifts. So if you are at AFF this year, make sure to come find me.

And for some reason, I just had to try orange and green -- not so sure about the color combination. I figured it couldn't hurt to try and it is always good to break out of one's comfort zone. I think I prefer orange and pink or orange and purple.

4 comments:

Bobbelur said...

I simply love and adore your bookmarks. The colors, the tassels and how you embellish them. Really nice!

Françoise said...

Lovely bookmarks! It looks like you had fun.
:-)

Terri Stegmiller said...

Love the riot of color here! My favorite bookmarks are the ones in the second to last photo.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely, I really do like the washers and what you've done with them.