Friday, October 22, 2010

Wool Felt Box

I had a fun time last weekend at the EtsyRain Pre-Holiday Craft Show. The weather was beautiful so it was a nice day to be in the city. This country girl seems to only make it to Seattle for craft shows or a trip to IKEA. Only problem was that with the sunshine people just weren't thinking about Christmas yet. Gift buying wasn't quite on the radar. I did come home with a little money for the puppy fund and feeling great about my artwork, so I'm not going to complain.
I did have a few questions about my wool felt, and different projects one can use it for. I decided to do a little experimenting and whipped up this box really quick. I used a 6"x6" piece for the base and 4 6"x12" pieces for the sides. I sewed them up with a straight stitch and threw it in the washer. The first time I washed it by itself on delicate. It barely shrunk and was somewhat flimsy, so I washed it again with a load of jeans and other clothes. I pulled it out and shaped it while it was still somewhat damp. I love how it turned out. It is now 4.5" square and 6" tall with a 2" cuff. Very fun. This felt is my daughter's favorite. Her birthday is coming up in November, so now I have something fun to fill with her gifts. And it was so easy! I think I might be making a few more.

1 comment:

Bee said...

What a great gift idea! I'm glad you enjoyed the craft show! I imagine its hard to know what people are going to be interested in at any given show. You should feel great about your artwork! Your work is beautiful and you got good exposure. Hopefully you will receive more orders as a result of this show.