Friday, November 9, 2007

A New Experiment

This is some fabric that I am working on for a new quilt. I'm trying this time to take pictures and blog along the journey. I've already forgot to photograph two steps, but I'll have to live with that. I began with one of my paint clean up rags. The colors are mostly blues, greens, and purples, with a splash of the whole rainbow. I then needle felted spirals of various yarns. I then free motion quilted sprials over the whole piece with gold, purple verigated and green verigated threads. The fabric is very textured and has an interesting free. I've began cutting it up and piecing it back together.
I'm hoping when I can tame the craziness with some strong line and embellishment, much like my daily attempt to tame the chaos. I don't think the chaos will end any time soon, but maybe I can add some order.

5 comments:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Congratulations on your art in Houston. I'm not a quilter...but even I've heard that Houston is TOPS!

I very much like your swirls and free motion embroidery...why tame it! Trying to tame daily chaos is like trying to nail jelly to a tree trunk! Okay, okay....I keep trying too!
Susan

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. This is really an interesting work! There is a lot going on and I love the textures. It will be great to see its progress here on your blog!

Karen said...

Hi Nikki
I love the spirals, and I love what your doing with the embellisher. I need to spend more time with mine, and when I see things like this it reminds me of that

Terri Stegmiller said...

Mmmm, love the new experiment fabric. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Dianne said...

I love the chaos in this piece - but I'm also very partial to spirals and swirls!!