Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Nesting Boxes

I just can't resist openning a box to find another little box inside. It is so much fun to travel down the path of box after box to discover what hides inside. Okay, currently there is nothing inside the smallest of these quilted boxes, but one day I might find a treasure. To create these boxes, I began with a piece of fabric I had used to wipe up paint while painting some Red and Green fabric paper. I then quilted it using red metallic thread on top and green in the bobbin. The tension was tight so the green thread came to the surface adding specks of green along the quilting lines. I then used this quilted fabric to create little boxes by zigzag stitching the sides together. The fabric was soft enough to be able to manipulate it under the sewing machine. The smallest box is a 1 inch cube and each box is 1/4 inch larger. The largest box is a 3 inch cube. These will make a fun addition to my Christmas tree, tucked in among the branches. And who knows, maybe there will be some treasures hidden in there.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great idea - I love them!

Barb said...

I've made boxes of this sort before, but never made nesting boxes. You're brilliant! Love the colors and the designs, too.

Kate North said...

I'm with Vicki - what a great idea. Not sure I'd ever manage quite that many, but even 5 or 6 would be lovely. Another thing for The List (I'll need a second lifetime to get halfway through The List, LOL)

Dianne said...

Oh what fun - these are great!! I love things inside things too.....

Carla said...

Wonderful set of boxes!

Guzzisue said...

wow! I would never be accurate enough to get them all to fit inside each other, well done

jpsam said...

I love these, too! I'm going to try them.
joan

Cathie said...

Nicky - love these boxes, but I love the quilting on these boxes even more!!! Really cute.

Elin said...

These look so Dr. Seussy! Very cool.