Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pink and Orange Explorations

Terri Stegmiller at StegArt challenged me to work with pink and orange. She sent me an image of a piece she has been working on and I have been having fun exploring the color combination. First, I started by painting some fabric with pinks and orange. I then quilted it with dark pink, light pink and copper metallic thread. I also found a scrap of fabric paper that I made last summer. Then it was time to pull out all the embellishments. I found beads, brads, buttons, wire, fibers and various scrapbooking embellishments. The only problem was I had no idea for a design. The weekend weather as awful, full of rain and hail, and I was in a funk!
To try to get out of the funk, I decieded to work on some plus sized inchies. They are easy and I could try out the different embellishments. Each one has two 1/2" strips of quilted fabric on the outside with a 1/2" strip of fabric paper in the center. I always have fun making these and I can play with different ideas by moving them around. I'm not certain what I am going to do with them. I might mount them on heavy paper and paint a frame for them.
I then had to make six more inchies for a mini treasure box filled with fabric beads. I love the beads spilling out everywhere. They are so little and precious and filled with hope. Each one a little dream. My only problem is that I don't have anywhere to display these little boxes that wouldn't be incredibly tempting to little fingers. I really wouldn't mind them touching if it wasn't for the stickiness and the fact that things tend to disappear. I know, I know, some day I will miss the sticky fingers, but for now they drive me crazy.
Finally, I used all the scraps from the inchies for this mini quilt. It really needs more contrast. The beads, wire and yarns are a little lost. I keep working. Now, if only I wasn't so tired from life. Summer is coming. The sun always energizes me and we hopefully will be able to take a break from school. There is always HOPE!

5 comments:

StegArt said...

Mmmmmm yummy! Loving these pink and orange samples Nikki!

Doreen K said...

The little mini treasure box ix so darling. All the items are beautiful.

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful!
And the little treasure box is so lovely!

Kim Hambric said...

Nikki, Thanks for paying a visit to my blog. I have been in a bit of a creative "holding pattern" lately, but your color combinations are very inspirational. You have a gift for using color.

Lynn Majidimehr said...

All the pink and orange items are wonderful, but my favorite is the tiny little box!