Monday, July 9, 2007

Putting Old Skill to New Uses

I tried out the old skill of paper weaving I learned in elementary school. I really liked the effect when I combined hand painted fabric and fabric paper. The contrast in texture adds a lot compared to construction paper place mats.
The purple work I titled Peace in My Soul. The cool, soft colors are very calming and feel restful. The little piece of mica is like a window into the heart.
The green piece has more of an underwater feeling. I haven't come up with an appropriate title. To me, it conveys more of a feeling of sadness and drownding. The batik fabric appears of be covered in wet tears. The tied pieces of fabric are like life ropes.

I enjoyed experimenting with these different techniques while my sewing machine has been out of commission.

No comments: